Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Decision has been made!

The bite of eight shots of espresso is like getting hit in the mouth by a truly sexy girl, and having her kiss you afterwards... I digress, instantly. 

I'm sitting in a Starbucks in my neighborhood, in NYC, and I'm sipping on an eight shot, venti, caramel macciwhozits, and it occurred to me that or a blog to have and relevance, it must be updated frequently... and thus we update!

With the largest comic book event on the east coast, looming in the very near future, the beast of bright colors, The New York Comic Book Convention! And all that heralds its arrival, is the buzz in comic book stores and on the message boards, and I'm actually very excited for two distinct, yet connected reasons.

The first and foremost, my mother, who should be credited for every creative career decision I've ever made. Not from her influence pushing me, but for her love and enthusiasm inspiring me. A couple of years ago, my mother asked me to go with her to the Motor City Comic Book convention, my first...ever!

Now I'd read comics all my life and had a significant collection, until one faithfully stupid day, when upon my moving in with my mother or a few years, I'd left my boxes unattended in the hallway, mere feet from her door. Yet it appears a few feet, is nothing to a greedy thief, and possible collector himself, why else take comic books. May he be plagued with deep throbbing paper cuts to the webbing of his hands and fingers...ahh, the digressinator appears again.

The second reason, is my valorous quest, to gain ear to ear grin inducing employment with Marvel Comics as a writer and artist. A goal I initially gave up once moving to NYC in favor of a less competitive job as a graphic artist. I needed work on my skills, and needed a job right away. Food is a good thing to have, and a roof over head ain't too bad either. I needed both, in quick succession, and at the time, the trade was worth it.

Now, some 15 yrs later, I've gotten it, I'm there, I'm the guy that can do what the undying thirteen year old has always wanted to do, and its like having a sugar addicted, jacked up on sugar boombooms, bouncing around in your bloodstream just crazed to get started drawing his favorite superheros.

So the decision has been made, I've concentrated my focus on 3 samples, of 3-6 pages, original ideas, all to show at the portfolio review at NYCC.  

Ok... I'm in a public place, dozens of people around me, not to mention busy baristas, and small children... and I'm sat with a goofy grin, bouncing up and down in my seat...

VISUAL IMAGE: I'M A 6'4", 290LB AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE WITH A BALD HEAD, BIKER STACHE, BLACK MIAMI INK TEE, CAMO CARGO SHORTS, AND BLACK BASEBALL CAP....

Mother's are shielding their child's eyes, so, with that said, I'll contain my excitement for the nonce, bucket down and get to scripting, and return with more textual delights, and progress updates, til then dear non-existent reader, enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment