Thursday, August 12, 2010

I'm back...but it's not like I went anywhere

There have been, fits and false-starts in this endeavor. It's a learning process, and I'm digging getting a bigger brain along the way.


I started this to make movies for Marvel comics, the books i grew up reading, and characters as dear to me as childhood friends. Closer in fact, as I am in contact more with The X-Men, than I am Oscar Williamson (no reason that name should seem familiar to anyone other than myself). 


But when I started, I had more bravado than brains. I figured my storytelling prowess was unparalled, and there was nothing more for me to learn. If ever there were more cause, to get a "slap upside the head", I don't think I know it exists. 


In short, I was a melon-headed, overly confident boob. I knew nothing, and was summarily told as much (a story for another time), and the words from that critic, still ring in my head. For one who'd thought so very highly of his own ability, it was an ego anniliating blow. And I will bless that day for a long time to come.


It showed me what I didn't know, and opened up a world of learning that I'd alway knew existed, yet neglected to use, Comic Books.


Comic book are where I learned to use my imagination, comics helped me see that heroism isn't only in the square-jawed, teutonic alien from another planet, but could be in an rocky oranged skin roughneck from the LES (lower east side). And that gave me hope, and Marvel comics embraced me like an old friend, each time I opened a glossy floppy gold nugget.


So, I'm taking a break from writing screenplays, and I'm going back to "school", I'm going to hone my skills, at the feet of the masters (comic book writers, past and present), and will emerge...a freakin superhero!

1 comment: